Quantcast

10.13.2010

For Colored Girls, The Movie

Tyler Perry's new movie, For Colored Girls, is hitting theaters November 5th 2010. Janet Jackson, Kimberly Elise, Thandie Newton, and Kerry Washington are part of the dynamic cast. I'm excited to see Ntozake Shange's choreopoem be translated into film. In high school I played Lady in Yellow, and I'm excited to see which color I most relate to 6 years later. Lets pause for the fact that its been 6 years. But back to the point, I think this is such a break through for women of color to have a film they can directly relate on the big screen. This year there have been many steps of inclusion beginning with Princess and The Frog. One thing that I would like to say is that I hope that this film can be appreciated and not picked apart. Often times women of color have an issue accepting steps in the positive direction. There's never a problem when watching a Katherine Heigl 'comedy', but a song on Princess and The Frog can be ripped apart. This movie is something to... wait for it.... enjoy. Try it out. And most importantly, be sure to support important steps that are being made.
xo
MosaMuse

No comments:

Post a Comment